Monday, May 5, 2008

How not to shear a sheep

This is our nasty sheep, his name is Rambo. We got him free because he was covered in 3 inches of crap. We decided that he needed to be sheared because he could barely walk, and it is getting hot out here in Cali and I didn't want him to die on us this summer.

We checked out Youtube to see how to shear Rambo. We watched a 70 year old guy from New Zealand shear a sheep in under 3 minutes. He said that once a sheep's feet are off the ground they act paralyzed and just sit there like a "bag of wool".


Rambo had to weigh at least 500 pounds. He was wet and greasy.


I have seen a 115 pound skinny cowboy shear this sheep before by himself. He charged $30.00 to do it. It took three of us over about an hour to shear him. I'm surprised the ordeal didn't kill stinky Rambo.

The best quote during the sheep shearing was from my brother-in-law Bryan. As we were shearing Rambo's belly, he asked, "WHAT IS THAT?" My father-in-law's reply, "That's his taliwacker, don't shave that!"


We got just over 3 bags of wool. Makayla wanted to keep his wool so that Tami could make her a pair of mittens and a warm sweater out of it. Since I figured she wouldn't like mittens that smell like poo, and that Tami's spinning wheel is broken I tossed Rambo's wool, don't let the kids know.

Rambo's haircut looks good, considering who was doing the shearing.


I guess I am a country boy now, notice the freshly shorn sheep in the foreground and the John Deere in the back ground. I think we are going to get some goats, they don't need shearing, and they will eat anything.




4 comments:

Frampton Family said...

Yay for a new post. I didn't know you were a farmer Wes! ha! These pictures are absolutely hilarious! That poor sheep.

Melany said...

Sadly Rambo will no longer have super sheep strength. Wes you now is a farmer.

Melany said...

oh-my-gosh. that is the funniest thing ever. thank you wes for this post. and thank you rambo for your tenacious spirit. baa baa black sheep...have you any poo...yes suh, yes suh...it's in my wool.
-mel

Kristen said...

Glade would be proud! I feel like I need a shower after just reading about nasty rambo.