Friday, September 5, 2008

Trip to Utah

Our family is divided into to groups...Californians and Utahans. As Makayla puts it, "Dad and I were born in Utah so we like the cold and you and Evan were born in California so you like the hot." Funny, but true. This last week we went on a trip to Utah to visit family and friends. When we pulled into Grandma and Grandpa's house, the first thing Evan said was, "Mom, I want to go home." Aside from the long, but necessary drive through Nevada, we had a great time. It was very surreal to be back. When we lived there, I always missed California. To me California is home, it was hard to imagine myself living anywhere else. After Wes graduated I was so ready to say goodbye to the snow, the gird system (sadly I have no sense of direction and North, South, East, and West mean nothing to me), and did I mention the snow. It wasn't until I had been away for a while that I also saw the things I miss. Great family and friends, and of course the best carmel apples I have ever had.


Makayla was so excited to see her grandma and grandpa Larsen. She is truely lucky to have them as grandparents. First we went to the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point. Our friends Aaron and Teresa and their little boy Kobe met us there. We have so much fun together, almost as much fun as Makayla and Kobe. We miss just being able to hang out with them, they are such great friends.

It was fun to watch Makayla and Kobe have such a good time together. When we lived in Utah, their year age difference was so much more noticeable. I think Kobe has a little crush on Makayla (I can't blame him, I think she is pretty neat). His parents told us that when they passed the Draper temple, Kobe asked them if he could marry Makayla there.


I must admit, we couldn't ask for better in-laws. I guess if Makayla and Kobe don't work out, there's still Evan and Kylie.


I think Wes enjoyed the museum more than the kids. The museum had a neat hands on water area. It was filled with sand, water, small trees and dinosaurs. Kobe jumped right in, while Makayla just stood there with a disgusted look on her face.

Bryan and Ashley also blessed Caden while we were out there. He looked so cute. He is the such a happy sweet baby, mainly because he has such an awesome mom (his dad isn't all that bad either). After the blessing we went up to Provo Canyon and had a picnic. It was fun to spend a little more time with my brothers and sister, and sadly our summer fun has come to an end. And yes (Bryan and Jarom) painting an entire house is an excellent way to spend your summer.

After the blessing we headed to Layton to Weston's aunt and uncles house. I always have a great time visiting with them. They had just remodeled their house, which got me excited to to finish my own. We also got to see Paul and Mel. They are expecting their little girl Penny any day.

Aside from the fact that I never got a snow cone (apparently the snow snacks close down when it is pouring rain), I had a great time. On the way home Makayla asked me whether I liked Utah or California better. I told her they both had good points, but that I was partial to California. She told me that she liked Utah the best because that is were she is from. Then she got very serious and said, "Well I like lots of tings about California too. I definitely like the the water better because Utah's water is disgusting!" That's my girl.

4 comments:

Someone that Matters (Bryan) said...

When is Makayla starting a blog? She is hilarious!!!

Melany said...

it was fun seeing you guys. we'll have to make a trip out to see your new home in the spring or something.

Bryan and Ashley said...

Could I possibly laugh any harder?!? You have the funniest kids on the planet...I'm so lucky to be their aunty :) Thanks again for coming out for the blessing. That meant so much to have you guys here. (Really we just did it so Wes could return to Zion aka paradise. HA!)

The Ericksons said...

It was good to see you guys for all of 10 minutes! Your kids are just adorable! That drive is definitely long.