Friday, January 23, 2009

Picky, Picky

What is worse then a picky eater.... a stubborn picky eater. (A.K.A. Makayla) Makayla has always been so hard to feed. It is impossible to get her to try new foods. I don't expect her to eat things she genuinely doesn't like. I am thankful my mom never forced me drink milk (yuck!) What I have a problem with is that she won't even try things...things I know she would like. Tonight I made Sloppy Joe's. Not the Manwich kind...I mean from scratch (big deal for me). Makayla just sat there looking at it telling me, "Mom I know it has to taste disgusting because that is how it looks." Real confidence boost for the cook. By this time Evan had already cleaned his plate so Wes was getting him so ice cream for dessert. "But Mom I am not hungry for dinner, I am just hungry for ice cream," pleads Makayla. I am sure you are sweetie, but no dinner, no ice cream. By this time Makayla really starts to melt down...she doesn't do it often, but when she does it is quite a show. She pulls out all the stops...big alligator tears, random babbling, and my personal favorite....fake choking. All she had to do was try it....give it a taste. But no, because if Makayla is nothing else she is determined...and she had already decided that her "taste buds wouldn't like it." The best part...after she sat there for 45 minutes I finally cleared her plate and gave her some bread with butter (I know...but the has to eat). Suddenly she starts bawling even more than before,"But Mom I was just about to eat that! Can you make me another one?" Are you kidding me...I surrender.

This post is dedicated to Aunt Ashley...thank you for your wonderful example and for making Makayla's eating habits seem almost normal.




4 comments:

Frampton Family said...

This is absolutely hilarious. If her only problem is being a picky eater, then consider yourself lucky. You handled it so well Tami.You really are one of the cutest moms I know.

P.S Is Makayla in ballet? She looks so darn cute with her hair pulled back

P.P.S I LOVE the tire swing

Bryan and Ashley said...

Hahahahaha! Awh that picture brings back so many memories. I remember one night hiding in my closet (yes, I was a real genius because obviously my parents would never think to look there) because my mom was cooking fish and there was no way I was trying that stuff. That was a long hungry, dark night.

Thank you for the post dedication. It made my day. Makayla you are the best niece ever.

Melany said...

oh my gosh, those pictures are so funny. makayla's face is so priceless in every one. at least evan like it!

J.Phipps said...

It's not your cooking Tam, it's just there is alot of pressure in the ballerina world to maintain that slim body. And what is this sloppy joe recipe, I thought your COMPLETE menu contained only tacos, chile casserole, and quesadillas???