Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Junk


I am not exactly sure what prompted me to have a garage sale...I guess since I have never done one before I thought it would be fun. Having now done one, I can tell you that they are not fun...at all. Now our garage sale drew a "interesting crowd". The first customer drove up and asked if we have any knives, guns, or ammo. No sir, but I do have a nice Baby Bjorn and a boppy pillow. Our house lent itself very well to a garage sale, mainly because of its sweet circular drive. This allowed people to drive by slowly...check out our stuff...and then continue on their way. But the best part of the day happened when Wes decided to clean out the pump house. It was just full of junk and garbage form our remodel. He couldn't throw the stuff away because our cans were down at the road with the signs. Turns out we didn't need the cans because that is the kind of stuff people like to buy....junk...the more beat up the better...doesn't work...perfect....you have no idea what it is...well then you can double the price. Another highlight of the day was when a lady came up asked me how much I wanted for Makayla's old baby stroller. I told her it was $10 and she asked me if I would take $8. Before I could answer Makayla says, "The sign says $10 not $8. See" (holding up the tag). That's my girl...tough as nails. (Although I think she really thought the poor lady couldn't read)
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Maryann said...

Hilarious. We had a garage sale this year, our first ever as well. Yep, totally not worth it. Was an interesting experience though. I love that people wanted to buy your garbage. That is great.

Melany said...

i guess i'm weird but i kind of look forward to the day when we can have a garage sale with our kids. like they can have a little lemonade stand and we can make money off the junk that people want. it's true, it's junk but it's someone else's treasure i guess...i love that makayla read the sign for the lady. i c'mon who haggles over 2 dollars?

Amy said...

Makayla makes me laugh. Isn't the world so simple to them?

J.Phipps said...

You know, ever since I haggled her at Petshop monopoly, she isn't letting anyone get the best of her. Don't worry, I'm eagerly awaiting your gratitude for teaching your daughter these valuable life skills.

Larsens said...

We just had a gargage sale and Maddie would tell our customers, "thats ok you can borrow our stuff". I love Makaylas boldness!

Paul said...

That's the business gene. Remember, it's $10, not $8.

Jolene said...

Remember when you called excited about having a garage sale and I was flat and you were like what's wrong with garage sales, I think it will be fun, I have a lot of stuff in the garage...I'm like okay have fun. You gotta love watching life backwards through your kids. Makayla way to go! Evan's picture priceless!